We are in for a long winter and it is the best time of the year to plan your summer holiday. You’ll get fantastic deals as numerous travel agencies are offering early bird discounts.For us, we already narrowed our choices to three island getaways. After visiting glorious cities of Rome and Paris, we just want something private for now – a serene, secluded island.
Our travel agent recommended Kefalonia in Greece. It belongs to the Ionian islands on the west part. Since Greece is only four hours flight from our city, it seems very appealing. I went on to research what we can do around the island and here’s my list:
1. Kefalonia is all about natural scenery: lush forests, high cliffs dropping down to azure waters, lush green fir-capped mountains reach high up into the clear sunny sky, picturesque headlands, watery inlets, golden bays and fantastic beaches spread around the island.
2. The island is also best known as the setting for the novel Captain Corelli’s Mandolin which later on turned to be a movie starring Nicolas Cage.
3. Activities you can do includes boat excursions, glass bottomed boat tours, horse riding to visit the mountains and ancient vineyards, and explore further stunning beaches.
4. For souvenir shopping, other tourists recommend buying the Kefalonia wild thyme honey, and the local wine, Robola. One must also try their Kefalonian meat pie, a farmhouse specialty.
5. Keafalonia also boasts world class villas for rent and and popular Skala Hotels. Skala offer a wonderful 4km beach of golden sand to stroll along or simply relax on. A range of watersports is available and the resort has enough bars, resturants and shopping facilities.